Watchfire Signs headquarters is in Danville, IL - 2.5 hours from Chicago, 1.5 from Indianapolis, 1/2 hour from Champaign/Urbana and University of Illinois.
Watchfire Signs is an exciting, dynamic company, headquartered in Danville, IL. We are more than 85 years strong and have been growing steadily. Vertically integrated, we do everything from engineering and sales through circuit board assembly; from accounting and technical support through final product integration and calibration. Watchfire offers excellent comprehensive benefits including 401K with matching, affordable health/dental insurance, paid time off in year of hire, and continuing education assistance. Internal promotion and career development are core to our culture. We have been an employer of choice for decades and are growing strong! Watchfire has an exciting work force with a fascinating product line and state of the art facility. We have had consistent double-digit growth since 2009.
This role will help lead mechanical engineering activity for R&D, capacity expansion, and continuity of supply and maintenance of business functions. The engineer will support and coordinate projects in a multi-discipline, cross-functional team environment and will interface with internal and external manufacturing resources.
• Build strong relationships with R&D Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, and Suppliers to develop successful cabinet designs, ventilation systems, fastening techniques, and to select appropriate materials for each design application.
• Complete assigned projects for all new product development efforts and for improvements to existing products. Follow projects from inception through prototyping and provide continued support after product release.
• Work with outside Professional Engineering services, internal Quality Assurance, and internal Compliance Engineers to ensure products meet or exceed quality standards and testing.
• Create 3D models for parts under design. Modify and refine designs, using working models to conform with product design specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends.
• Coordinate with internal Supply Chain and outside suppliers to procure materials.
• Work with Manufacturing and Manufacturing Engineering to understand process and machine capabilities. Design products to leverage internal capabilities (DFMA) and propose new processes as needed to facilitate product design and manufacturing.
• Participate in design experiments as needed, to optimize manufacturing process performance.
• Maintain technical documentation and follow company procedures.
• Must have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, or similar
• 5 or more years of experience working in an R&D environment as a mechanical design engineer
• Experience working with aluminum alloys, extrusions, welded and bolted connections, and riveting techniques.
• Proficiency with 3D modeling tools such as Autodesk AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault. Apply appropriate dimensional values and tolerances using GD&T standards.
• Familiarity with Mechanical Engineering Standards (e.g., ASME, ISO, IBC)
• Project Management experience to manage projects spanning multiple departments
• Proficient at problem solving, decision making and resource management. Must be able to identify, analyze, and solve problems related to mechanical design and processes.
• Must have a commitment to quality, a high sense of urgency, and good oral and written communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office tool set
• Willingness to travel periodically (< 10%) for certain projects and training.